The Department of Veterinary Pathology came into being as an independent existence in June, 1965. In the year 1978-79, disease investigation part was separated and formed a part of the newly created Department of Veterinary Public Health & Epidemiology. Following are the objectives and activities of the Department.
- Teaching of undergraduate, postgraduate and diploma (DVLT) students
- Regular post-mortem examination of different species of animals and poultry
- Regular histopathological and biopsy examination of the tissue samples
- Preservation of gross specimens of various diseases in museum for education and awareness
- Provide histopathological, microphotography and fluorescent microscopy services to the students/faculties of other departments/institutes/universities (as per the need)
- Diagnosis, prevention and control of emerging/ re-emerging diseases of livestock and poultry by conducting cytopathological, immunohistochemical and molecular pathology examination of clinical/outbreak samples
- Provide the expert clinico-pathological services to the department of Veterinary Clinical Complex
- Provide a significant role in the diagnosis and etio-pathological studies of important diseases of animals and poultry prevalent in Haryana state
- Provide expert guidance for the disease diagnosis and its prevention and control to livestock/ poultry farmers in form of farm darshan, kisan melas, pashudhan diwas etc.
- Provide expert services at the time of disease outbreak in the field
- Organization of training programmes for the field veterinarians (as and when required)
- Diagnostic services provided to various stake holders and farmers by the department:-
- Providing diagnostic services by performing post mortem of animals and histopathological examination of samples received from field/postmortem hall/other departments etc. regularly.
- Providing diagnostic services by performing routine biopsy examination of samples received from field veterinarians/teaching veterinary clinical complex of the university.
- During disease outbreaks, department is proving diagnostic service by field investigation in collaboration with other department.
- Diagnosis, prevention and control of emerging/ re-emerging diseases of livestock and poultry by conducting
a) Hematological and Biochemical testing
b) Detailed Post-mortem examination
c) Histopathological and Biopsy examination
d) Cytopathological and Immunohistochemical examination
e) Molecular Pathology examination